I've found a box in the loft, which I had long forgotten about and it contained a pair of Sachs New Success Cartridge Bearing Freehubs (front and rear in 32 hole drilling) and will take an (old fashioned?) 7 speed HG90 Hyperglide cassette 13-30. Any recommendation of which wheel rims to get as I have an old pair of Mavic 230 SBPs, but these rims only have single eyelets and would much prefer double eyelets with a black anodised or ceramic side wall suitable for touring loads. I can easily get DT DB SS Swiss spokes and lace up the wheels myself. I'm still a bit out of the loop when it comes to recommendations for cycle parts especially over the constantly changing groupset mentality the large manufacturers always seem to inflict on their customers.

Whats parts are recommended i.e. are Shimano, Campagnolo still the leaders in the field as I've noticed some other parts manufacturers such as SRAM and Face Race etc. All the current MTB dérailleur gear train kit all appears to be extremely ugly compared to 10-15 years ago for example and most appear to be either rather pointless 9 or 10 speed gearing systems requiring less reliable narrower chains.

Oh man they even to have something called an external bearing bottom bracket, i.e. a fix to a solution that didn't need a fix. cry