Originally Posted By: billvann
I use both. It's a technique I learned ...

- I have several platypus hydration bags and Nalgene bottles.
When backpacking I have a 3 litre hydration bag...
- I also carry two 2 litre platypus bags. Most of the time they are empty. Empty they take up little room and weight...
- In the other side pocket I have a large Gatorade bottle... I use this and only this bottle for smellable liquids, such as powdered Gatordae. It's easy then to make sure it goes up in the bear bag...
- For weekend trips and summer camp I have a 1 litre platypus that I stick in my day pack.

Huh??? also the same setup I use. Great minds think alike!?! laugh

For those who think that it is inconvenient to fill a bladder - I use the Platypus quick disconnect so it allows me to connect my water filter (Pur Hiker) directly to the hose of the Platypus and just pump til it's full. It's is almost as convenient as dipping the entire Platy into the a cold stream!

So an almost full 3 litre bag and a 950 ml Gatorade bottle of powered Gatorade/Powerade is roughly 8.5 lbs. I would not normally use that much water except in hot dry conditions for a full day. It also depends on how far apart the water sources are located. Why carry that much water if know the next source is only 4 hours hike away?

Finally, TANK UP! Hydrate first! Before you start out in the morning, fill that water bladder you are carrying anyway - your Stomach!

Edited by Roarmeister (11/19/09 08:51 PM)