Originally Posted By: Pete

In an pinch - always remember that your basic large-size plastic soda bottle will hold a LOT of water. The plastic they use to make those bottles is incredibly tough and tear-resistant. Of course, if possible wash it out first - so you can remove the after-taste of the soda. And I don't like the narrow neck of those soda bottles. But Hey, let's not be picky if we're talkin' a real emergency here ... then those bottles are tough, hold a lot of water, and get the job done.

That's what I use - in fact, recyclable drink containers are about ALL I use. I also have a 15 liter collapsible water bag and a 5 liter plastic can for those big outings and campings. One of the biggest brands of bottled water has quite sturdy recyclable bottles with a drinking cap - that is my favorite water bottle. Soda bottles are much stronger because they have to withstand the high pressure, but I don't drink soda (ever! Don't like it!) and I don't like that I have to unscrew the cork whenever I have a drink. Whenever the bottle is funky I buy a new one.

But I'm lucky to live in a place where water treatment is no fuss, really. The tap water is first class most places, just fill your bottle. Outside of urban areas you just find a nice stream, consider if there's any obvious manmade source of nastiness upstream and if not, drink it. Obviously, a lot of places where that strategy is not recommended.

The platylus kind of system is tempting because drink is always instant available without effort - you don't need the self discipline of retrieving your water bottle. Too high tech for me... I'd rather go low tech, low maintenance and getting into the habit of drinking often, no matter the inconvenience.