Originally Posted By: ajax
The FCC was going to mandate an 8hr minimum battery backup but the Bush Admin passed it off for further study.

Most carriers have provided some kind of emergency backup but there's no telling how long it will last.

I like the "using SMS" tip. Text messages use a fraction of the bandwidth that phone calls do. You will definitely have a better chance of getting a message out via SMS.

Assuming ( and we all know what that can do) that the carrier has been doing proper PM, the cell site should already have at least 8 hours back-up on battery. It is not a continuation of service issue for an emergency, but a continuation of revenue for the company.

Additionally, most carriers are in the process of adding/replacing generators at their sites. Some carriers have trailer mounted gensets that they move around as needed to keep the sites on the air.

As to 911 via SMS... Don't count on it. The 911 services want to TALK to the reporting party (RP). They often ask for more info than a text from the RP will provide, and can give FA/CPR instruction over the phone.

Any other cellular questions, just ask... It is what I do now (again).

RIP OBG