Originally Posted By: Russ
We can talk about preparedness, but we won't know if we can jump into that river until we see that face.

The videos make a good point regarding doing the right thing in the face of adversity. But you never know if you'll jump in until after you find yourself in the water.

Absolutely. Cannot dispute this in the least.

However, isn't it more likely that people WILL act in this manner, if we promote the idea that people should and can act in this manner? If you hold up some of the people mentioned by Nutnfancy, as well as others who have done similar acts -- maybe Capt. Phillips of the Maersk Alabama, as examples of real manhood (or womanhood such as the case may be) aren't we likely to get more people to follow in their shoes. Don't military groups indoctrinate their new recruits by teaching them about their heroes of the past in order to instill in them the spirit to follow in their shoes, at least part of the way. While we can never know who might or might not act at the right time, aren't there things that can be done to put more people into the mindset that will encourage them to act at those times? So, in that regard, I like what Nutnfancy is doing in the videos.

I kind of think advocating ideas like this will bring us both more real heroes and more Mittys, and at sometimes I think one person could step up and act, while at other times the same person may not. As

As I said before, I question his advocating the violation of laws restricting the carrying of firearms.

I also question the extent to which he says someone should want to be at the scene of an incident. I think he goes at least a bit far. There are times, such as maybe Flight 93 that Nutnfancy mentions, when the addition of another heroic person is unlikely to raise the chances of a better outcome and will only add to the victim list.

And, I agree with Nighthiker in that many here are probably sheepdogs and the thinking on this forum and others like it will lead to the existence of more.

Edited by Dan_McI (11/12/09 05:16 PM)