I worked downtown on 9/11--we've since moved. After that I used to have a go bag with stuff aimed at about 2 days of being on my own (water, Mainstay bars, etc)--with no one taking me or anyone else in, having to stay in place somewhere unfamiliar. All sort of unlikely in NYC, but not 100% unlikely. Then when I realized I just couldn't carry the bag--even at a slow pace--I changed it a bit.

Now I have in a small bag (locked in my file cabinet in the office) holding a couple of extra bottles of water, candy bars that I like (I try to get things with the least amount of salt), a space blanket (just to keep my fanny from getting wet in the rain), poncho (rain, extra warmth), pair of socks, old pair of gloves, a "hygiene" ziplock bag to feel human--extra pair of underwear, makeup of course!, disposable toothbrush--you get the picture. Just as an fyi, it would take me 6 or 7 hours to walk home on hard pavement.

As much as I'd like to have more, it's just not possible. The good part is that since the 70s, every blackout I've been in, subway strike, smoke condition on the train (smoke condition according the NYC MTA means fire), 9/11, subway breakdowns, etc, the people of New York have been wonderful in helping out. Of course, of there's a dirty bomb, biological bomb...who knows what panic there would be. But in terms of my life until now, luckily these things have been rare. I'm actually concerned more with getting to and from work and having some tools to get out of an immediate jam.