Originally Posted By: thseng
WHY in the world is seatbelt jamming such a common problem?

Fail SAFE.

If you can cut yourself away, you are aware enough of your enviroment to perform a primary assessment of your injuries, the location and stability of the vehicle, and can make some reasonable fine motor motions. On the other hand, if you are knocked out by banging your head on the window during an accident that includes a roll over, the last thing you want is to have your seatbelt release on you, letting you get tossed about. Heck, you wouldn't that if you were concussed, but if my bell has been rung I'd rather be dangling like a pinata than being a lump of rapidly cooling spare parts. (There is very little of Vermont that is flat, if you leave the road there is a very real chance you are suddenly going down hill in an axis of travel other than the designers hoped.)

Never mind that if it the seat belt releases under a shock load of a couple of tons, you've just left the windshield during a 40mph collision.

I want that sucker to jam up good and tight

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.