Yes, I carry a cotton bandanna (as opposed to silk, which some people suggest because it sops water better) with it. Good for all your reasons, including sopping water. The water carrier in my tin is a Lansinoh breast milk storage bag. Women gave it a thumbs up over Gerber--they say it is more resilient. And Lansinoh actually markets it as such. The idea of using it as the basis for a very clean "bandage" is outstanding! Also, I could see using something like that as the basis for a lightweight kit. My EDC tin is in an old first aid pouch so I can dump everything in it if I have to (the pouch also holds a facemask and 6' paracord); the tool tin is an a 4 x 7 Aloksak, so it's another water carrier and can handle hot water.

I can't assume that if I'm in an explosion or building collapse and end up below ground that bottles of Poland Spring will come with me. But there might be leaking pipes, maybe a coffee urn from the local deli ends up there, etc.

I'm not married to tins...I just think they can come in handy. You can leave them unattended to catch dripping water, make noise, dig if there's too much glass around and nothing else to dig with.

Edited by UrbanKathy (11/10/09 11:10 PM)