Thanks for the links, you think outside the box like me. Part of my problem with specifically the PN40, is that it is taller and thicker than most any GPS. I was very surprised at the lack of civilian marketing for decent storage on pack straps and webbing. I had to do fit tests for the PN40, so excluded all online purchases. if its a perfect fit for the eTrex, (I own one) there is no chance in heck it will fit the DeLorme.

To spin this back around to the Ribz vest and why I think its a good idea is that it allows, I don't know, probably 400 cubic inches of space. About half a normal backpack. Plenty of space for jamming in all sorts of hands on stuff you'd normally put in the top pouch of a large pack but too small to fit in a camera, cell phone, sunglasses case.

This is ultimately why I chose, in my situation (YMMV)a mountainsmith DAY lumbar pack. I use it daily right now for work, will use it for short hikes as a stand alone, and as a front pack with my backpack for multi day trips. The DAY will never leave my body outside my tent. Much like an Army LBE.

I think the one detraction of all front wear systems, and the Ribz or MS Day is no different, is body heat dissipation. If it gets the rep of being to hot to wear, it won't gain market share.