Originally Posted By: benjammin
Gees Art, given the size of the deer in Florida (dog sized), I wonder how many of them latter type hunters mistakenly shoot their dogs instead?

If them dogs get on a swamp hog out there in the bush, I wonder if any of them Florida hunters will go in after the pack to get them some relief. I seen some of them tuskers get upwards of 500 lbs. The vet bill can get mighty high stichin' ole blue back up after he's been run over and raked by one of them boars.

While the Key deer is quite small the normal white tail deer are pretty large compared to a dog. A friend shot a six point that, as I remember it, weighed in at 170 pounds. That would be a good-sized Florida deer.

A guy I used to work for would hunt wild hog with dogs. I never went along but his accounts seemed to indicate that they got torn up in the hunt pretty regularly. The hogs would turn when cornered and could shred the dog pack. Mostly small gouges and lacerations that needed to be cleaned and stitched but every year or two he would lose a dog. Either killed outright or maimed to the point he felt he needed to put it down. He was pretty shook up for a few days after he had to shoot his favorite dog when it was laid open and gutted by a hog.