I think everyone has to remember that there is a huge difference between a natural disaster (earthquake, hurricane, tonradoe, etc) vs limited building collapses, whether from gas main break, terrorist attack, etc...and subway problems (train wreck, "smoke condition)...and blackouts. I have a BOB in my car (I need to revisit what's in it) plus water, Rescue tool, and first aid kit (including QuikClot) secured in the console next to the driver's seat of my car.

But I carry my EDC in my jacket or coat pocket all the time. It includes first aid, SAK, water carrier, etc. It's a tin a bit bigger than an Altoids tin. Holds a lot of goodies to help. If my arm gets sliced, at least I have Steri-strips and triple oitment. If I sustain some minor or even one major burn, I have some Burn Gel. If I sustain third-degree burns over half my body and no one's there to help, a BOB isn't going to help me. And in an urban scenario, it's very likely that you will lose your BOB or purse. If I'm running away from REAL danger, I'm ditching everything to get away. If I'm trapped underground because of an explosion, I want my mask, whistle, SAK, and flashlight--I want them in my pants or jacket. Not in a bag.

I also have an Altoids-sized Tool Tin with Leatherman Squirt, prybar and other assorted things. It can usually be on my person.

I wear walking shoes every day and have flats for the office if I ever have to use them--no high heels. If something happens, I know I can at least walk home comfortably--or run.

Edited by UrbanKathy (11/09/09 07:18 PM)