Originally Posted By: fasteer
Anybody know of edible plant walk or class in Alberta or Montana?
Likely too late for this year, we're well into winter.

Yeah, probably too late for guided tours. And the saskatoons and hazelnuts have all been stripped off by birds and squirrels.

But there are still edibles that aren't hard to find (or misidentify). If I were walking along a wooded watercourse in Alberta at this time of year, I would watch for:

- rose hips: on wild rose bushes, found everywhere; can't miss 'em; eat the flesh off the outside, but not the seeds, which are barbed, meaning they will bite you ... later

- highbush cranberry; very tart but very refreshing after heavy frost; usual method of finding them is by noting the smell of "stinky socks" in the wind and following the scent; most people pop the berry on their tongue and then spit out the seed and skin

- cattail root; assuming the ground isn't deeply frozen, this is bland but effective survival food; try to get the whole root, which has little starchy nodules; roast or boil to get the caloric value of the starch and kill pathogens; beware of industrial or agricultural runoff, unless you have a taste for 2,4,D etc.

For other plants, I take DW along. She's the plant wizard around here. I only remember the stuff I can eat. Must be a guy thing. wink