I work in a high rise office building and I am trying to figure out whether to invest in a smoke hood. My get out bag currently has a dust mask (I think N-95) to help me escape if there is smoke.

I understand that there are essentially two types of smoke hoods. The more basic version (approximately $15.00) is essentially a heat resistant plastic bag along with a filter that removes particulate matter. It is essentially an upgraded dust mask to protect your eyes from smoke. The more advanced version (approximately $75 and up) has a respirator (in addition to the heat resistant plastic bag) that includes a catalyst that converts carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. Actually, I guess there is a third category, which includes an activated carbon filter to neutralize some poisonous gasses, but not carbon monoxide.

I looked for testimonials from people who had used a smoke hood in a real emergency situation (the manufacturers offer free replacements to anyone who used a smoke hood in an emergency who provides a testimonial) and found only one testimonial of a woman who used a basic smoke hood after re-entering a burning home in an attempt to rescue the family cat. She said it worked perfectly in connection with allowing her to breathe, but that the smoke was so thick that she could not really see. I found no testimonials of anyone who has used the more advanced smoke hood to escape a fire.

The studies I have been reading simply state that the vast majority of fire related deaths are caused by smoke inhalation instead of burns. I already knew that. However, "smoke inhalation" is too vague.

Is it the particulate matter or the carbon monoxide that causes the majority of smoke inhalation deaths?

Would an N-95 dust mask provide any significant protection from smoke inhalation?

How effective is a moist cloth held over the mouth at providing protection from smoke inhalation?

[EDIT] So far, this is the best information I have found: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/factsheets/respfact.html

Edited by Kukulkan (11/04/09 07:24 PM)
Edit Reason: to add new information