Originally Posted By: Blast
. . .I don't think the dogs were just playing but they weren't in full-on attack mode, either. They scared the heck out of one of the students who stood there screaming in fear. Like someone else said, my stick wouldn't have done anything against two Rotts bent on eating me. . . .
Someone screaming in fear probably got the Rotties more excited than they would have been if your charge had been calm. Dogs respect calm; if you (or your charge) shows fear the dogs react to that energy. Best thing to do IMO would be to close ranks and ignore them -- maybe even to the point of turning your backs to the dogs. Cesar Millan is big on a calm assertive posture.
Quote:
Calm-assertive energy – This is the energy you project to show your dog you are the calm and assertive pack leader. Note: assertive does not mean angry or aggressive. Calm-assertive means always compassionate, but quietly in control.

Watch a true alpha dog interact with a group of dogs and it will tend to ignore the other dogs -- head up but turned away -- no fear, no threat, just disinterest. IME that attitude works for people interacting with dogs too.