LeeG - I'm rereading the thread and looking at your location and relationship to these kids and wondering if perhaps you're being taken advantage of. Or are being given an assignment to get you to stop talking about preparedness or something.

Seems to me that their parents should be doing this since they'd know how much blanket or sleeping bag would be enough for the location. And they'd know whether the kid would appreciate and use the kit or would just chuck it out of the way. And they'd know how much would fit in the particular car.

I've got relatives (cousin) who've been given several completely reliable used cars over the years by their grandfather and she immediately turned them into junk. And I've got neices who stand to inherit a great deal of money from their grandparents but who can't be enticed into paying any attention at all to the concepts of money management so they have no concept of what a boost they will get.

Sometimes the gift of preparation goes unappreciated.
Don't be surprised if this is the case. I hope it's not.

On the other hand, if you can spend time with the kids in a positive way showing them what's there and practicing using it, there can be a good role model / bonding experience. Hope so.