I am going to live up to my signature for a moment.

I have a hard time getting the tone right in print. I hope the comment about long prep times was not taken wrong. In an awful lot of situations you have a lot of time available and not a lot of things to do.
Sometimes a "slowfood" meal offers a relief from boredom and worry because it at least gives you something to do while you wait out the emergency.

One of the other things I lament with our modern and efficient homes is the loss of our root cellars and other normal storage places.
We don't usually have the places our grandparents would have stored enough veggies to get through the winter or the dry lofts they would have stored dried foods in.
Most of us have replaced those storage options with a small refrigerator and a quick trip to the store to restock it every few days.
Jaywalker's comment about the Amish reminds me about how the older farmers used to spend a lot of time every year canning and preserving. They usually made one trip to town a month and expected to have enough supplies in their kitchen pantry to last at least 2 months in case they couldn't get to town.
We don't live like that any more, and while I do value refrigerators and freezers they do have a cost in addition to the hydro to run them.
We no longer use the alternate food storage methods.
I can remember my parents filling crocks with cabbage to ferment into sauerkraut. Bags of onions hanging in the cellar along with bushels of apples and sacks of potatoes.
We don't place rows of pickles in jars on shelves behind the basement stairs or have bins full of winter squash available anymore.
In the early part of the last century even houses in town usually had these storage places available. From about the middle of the last century these storage options disappeared.
Now you don't see those storage places even in rural homes.

That is about the end of my wandering thoughts about it.
I only add that there are a lot of storage methods we no longer even think about. They include fermented foods too.
Things like fermented pickles, long storing root crops, sugar or salt curing.