OK, after thinking about Jeanette's question about the UPSK, I got to thinking about the stuff that would have been stripped out. I've got a couple of spares after taking advantage of a going out of business sale, so I thought about what I would need a bare minimum.

Knife, fire, cordage, water, shelter. A fishing kit and sewing needle would be really nice. So, a knife is too big, I want something the size of a pocket knife or small multitool or SAK, that's out. Water, well, that won't fit either, but I always have a Nalgene or Guyot with me, with a GSI cup at the bottom of the carrier. Adding a few water tabs under THAT takes up no room. A flashlight is nice, but not 100% critical.

So, I grabbed an aluminum capsule container that I'd had kicking around for a year that I bought on a whim. It is the 1x3" size, that screws at the middle.

It has an o-ring, and it know it water tight, or at least water tight enough for my needs. I don't dive. But just to be sure, a little bit of inner tube gets pulled over the middle. As you can see, it is the same size as a SAK or a Juice (yes, it is a KF4, yes it is brand new, no, I'm not sharing my source- it was their last one), so successful hit on the form factor. Unscrew it, and you get this:

Why did I pack it like this? Becuase the tinder quiks hold the sparklight and the other stuff in place, which is the side with the hanger on it. The other side has two halfs of a cotton ball, one at the very bottom to pad the 20mm button compass from the metal, the other to protect it from the top of the sparklite.

The other half has the sparklite and four tinderquiks from a PSP, along with the fishing tackle. I taped the needle to the sparklight so it is easier to find- fishing gear is nice, but not needed, but I always look to coldest weather so the ability to repair torn clothing comes first. Rather than the upholstry thread that Doug selected for the PSP, I used a small roll of dental floss- the thread was too tall and was a pain to get out, while the handle of the sparklite tucks into the hollow which is big enough for me to fish it out with my finger.

So, what is the role.

Good question. Like so many kits, this one was made because it could be. Realistically, I'd have this with a neck knife (Raven-sized neck knife, so Ka-Bar to Mora sized) with a whistle on lanyard made from braided paracord. Add a water bottle in a carrier slung on my shoulder. It isn't great, but if I'm just on a short hike in good weather and I want to carry as little as possible, it is better than nothing. Would I probably ever carry only this? Nope, but it is as minimal as I'll get.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.