Originally Posted By: T_Co
You could also consult your vet about your dogs diet. I recently had to take our beagle in because he tore his acl. The vet gave us some expensive diet food as he was overweight ($25 for a 10lb bag). She said if he was not getting full enough off of that that we could also give him a can of green beans to supplement. So given that if you asked I would think that there may be other foods that could stretch out your rationing.

The last think I'd want to do in an emergency is change her diet, or in a sustained situation, cut into the human food.

Green beans are a popular means of reducing a dog's weight.

Gidget's accustomed to a dollop of yogurt on her breakfast and occasional pumpkin and chicken. Not to mention her daily Greenie. So she'd be adjusting in a crisis.

Weaning her off Greenies would be her biggest discomfort.

In a sustained crisis, I could well end up dipping into her kibble. Not to my taste but her kibble is a nutritious, high-quality dog food with human-grade ingredients.

Think I'll be adding more pork 'n beans and tuna to the grocery cart this weekend....

I'm rather more concerned about a one or two week situation. With my current practice of buying a new bag of dog food when her current one hits half, she'll be fine for at least a month and possibly three or more.

Edited by Dagny (10/30/09 03:18 PM)