Quote:
The problem I have with the smaller fixed blade knifes designed to fit in an altoids tin is that they are getting to the point where very little can actually be achieved without over stressing the hands and ultimately could be cause injury through slippage. A smaller folder with a better grip may be preferred even though they ultimately might not be as tough or as lightweight.

I'll second that. Those mini neck knives with skeleton handle tend to be useless for any real cutting. Poor ergonomy, thin grip, very awkward and uncomfortable to use for heavier cutting. Also, why all the tacticool jimping, notches and whatnot? Aside from making the grip a lot less comfortable, they just create more stress points where the steel is likely to break.

A small folder is better IME because you get a larger blade at the same size and the grip, while far from perfect, is usually still a major improvement over the plain steel skeleton handle. What benefits a miniature fixed blade offers in structural strength is limited by the amount of work you can accomplish. You won't be cutting anything substantial with a flimsy 1 1/2" blade. Your mileage may vary but in my expectations I don't see any serious use for a "survival" knife that can't even be used to cut small branches (e.g. sticks for shelter poles and the like) with some efficiency.