I am going to replace a small decrepit metal tool shed and want to maximize it for a few garden tools and for a growing inventory of preparedness items.

An online search has turned up some ideas, but I'm hoping the forum might have some recommendations, caveats, etc.

My general specifications:
  • plans that I can use to build with my beginner/intermediate building skills or that I can hire someone to build for me
  • I expect I'll get a building permit
  • want to collect water from roof and collect in two 55-gallon food-grade drums
  • may or may not run electricity to it (for lights and limited power tool usage)
  • located in a climate with four seasons, high of 35 C, low of 0 C
  • plan to store garden and hand tools, bicycles, some camping gear, lanterns, fishing gear, parts bins, etc.
  • approximate dimensions desired: 10'wide x 12'deep x 10' tall
  • needs to be well-secured - I'd like vents to help with temperature extremes but maybe just a door otherwise to reduce points of entry. (love the idea of skylights, solar panels, barred windows
  • I'm currently saving for this project but haven't fixed a budget yet.

With no basement, garage or attic, I have very little indoor storage, which I am using mainly for additional food storage and items that need the moderate temperature/humidity environment of my home. The shed is going to be a real boon to my organization and improving my being "equipped to survive."

Thanks for any ideas or tips you can share.