Originally Posted By: TheSock

This 'new'surveillance is not new. your neighbour could always watch you by simply looking out the window. your boss could always watch you by standing behind you. And i'd be annoyed if my child had a place at the local good school stolen, becuase the council didn't investigate fraudulent entries.

Oh really? IE 6? From work? I didn't even need to use my admin rights here for this one:

"20 Oct, Tue, 16:08:15","155.192.33.21","-","Nationwide Building Society","Europe","United Kingdom","Swindon","Swindon","51.5167","-1.7833","MSIE 6","Windows XP","1280x1024","32 Bit (16.7M)","JS Enabled","","","","http://www.bruxelles.irisnet.be/en/tourismeloisirs/tourisme_et_loisirs/sortir_a_bruxelles/restaurants_a_bruxelles.shtml"

I can go MUCH further if you like, without needing my admin access to this forum. You tell me a time in the past where I - here in the USA - could monitor YOU? From home? Yes, you can "opt-out" of the systems of western society to a degree, but you really can't fully opt out unless you decide to not drive, shop, get medical care, own real estate or vote.

I agree that the government could care little for the YOU or ME specifically, however, as anyone who has visited certain web sites that I won't even name here, the tools needed to monitor other people are very much available and used recreationally and criminally. Suffice it to say that I gave up on the idea of REAL privacy about 10 years ago.