It's worth considering that the formulation, and approvals, are different in each country. So it's tough to compare apples and apples.

I intend to get the shot (the Canadian non-live-virus formulation). The Alberta government is making it available to anyone who wants it. It should be available shortly.

In some ways, not a moment to soon. There's already a bloom locally, with some area schools missing 10-15-25% of students. The cause of these numbers is, of course, complex, and subject to thoughtful revision. But H1N1 is a known factor in this, based on testing, and it's too early for the seasonal flu ritual.

I'm not enormously concerned about this influenza, provided I get the usual version. (Who do I pay to ensure that it's non-life-threatening?)

It's the risk of going from 'flu to intensive care that is the first concern. This happens in about 24 hours in a small but significant percentage of cases. Or spreading it to someone I care about who may be more susceptible. That's not what I'm about.

It's also the possibility of some protection against a mutated, nastier strain down the road. This is more speculative country, of course. But herd immunity is nothing to sneeze at, and has got me this far; there's excellent reason to believe that my odds of typing this note would be a lot slimmer without it. No doubt the building of that herd immunity, through generations, carries a microscopic degree of risk. I guess I have a sense that there is a civic duty involved.

That's my perspective. YMMV.