*Where* I go is a largely a function of where I could stay for long periods. I have parents 30 miles north of town, friends 150 miles north where I could stay weeks-to-months without burdening their resources, and relatives 1,000 miles north where I can relocate indefinitely.

I have a place on the west coast I can evac to but she's more resource-constrained for prolonged stays (until I can access my savings) and I have no good intermediate evac sites in that direction.

*When* I go is also influenced by this. It's not much more than a long shopping trip to visit the friend 10 miles west of town, and not much more to my parent's. The cost is low, side-benefits high, so a quick-trigger to evac is no big deal. Even running to Dallas & visiting old friends isn't the worst thing in the world if evac turns out to have been unnecessary.

Having "cheap" intermediate stops in the plan is a good thing so you don't need complete information for a go/no-go decision. It lets you "run when the ball is pitched" rather than waiting for complete reports & official instructions before leaving base.