I'm in the process of modifying my Pocket Survival Pack to make an urban survival kit. I'm keeping the most important item in the PSK, the instructions. Though most of the information pertains to strictly wilderness survival, there is some information which pertains to all environments. The magnifying lens would come in handy in the event anything happened to my glasses. The Spark-Lite and tender would come in handy if I needed to light a barbecue grill, assuming I had charcoal. The signal mirror can be used as a mirror. Though I already have a conventional size FOX40, a backup whistle wouldn't hurt. A compass can be used in any environment. The pencil and note paper does not take up much room so I may as well leave them in there. I can definitely use the sewing needle, thread and safety pins. There is one important item missing from the sewing group, a thimble. I always felt the PSK was missing this important item so today I'm adding one to it. The fishing kit takes up so little room and there is a creek within walking distance from where I live. I never caught a fish and it's unlikely that I will but it's there just in case.

I have a separate first aid kit so I won't be adding any first aid items. Other than a thimble, does anyone have ideas on what to add to an urban PSK? Are there items, which I have left, that need to be removed? Also, has Doug said anything about making an urban specific PSK? I feel he has left out an entire target group who would never leave the city unless they were evacuated by the local, state or federal government.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (10/23/09 07:41 PM)