Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Faulty readings from pulse oximeters are perplexing considering the warm weather (it was around spring) and, to the best of my recollection, I did not have a cold drink or handle anything cold. Of course this was seven years ago so unless I was aware of something that is significant, I most likely would have forgotten it. If fingernail polish was the cause of the faulty reading then wouldn't the pulse oximeter in the emergency room also give a faulty reading?

Pulse Oximetry is the most over used tools in the EMS toolbox. They are finicky and sometimes just don't get a good reading regardless of perfect conditions. If I can't see a good waveform I don't trust the number they give period.

I teach my students that a pulse oximeter is a tool that should be used to see how your treatments are working not if or how you should be treating a patient.

As for anxiety attacks, I work in an area where we run more then our fair share. I have less patients then I can count on one hand where I have had to use medication to treat the patient. Usually what Pete recommends works, although some patients require a sterner approach and removing stimuli (like the 18 family members that are trying to "help" be either hugging or yelling at the patient) is helpful.

Quote:
Anyhow, as I said, I was fine by the time we arrived at the emergency room and I have attributed that to the fact I was given oxygen on the way to the hospital.

Oxygen doesn't help the typical anxiety attack, nor will it hurt. It is simply time and getting "control" over breathing that will lead to retaining normal levels of CO2 which will eventually lead to control over the feeling.