If you Google "Urban Survival Kit" quite a few items pop up. None I'm familiar with.

By Urban Survival Kit, are you envisioning something sized for a pocket? A purse? Briefcase? Backpack?

My life is truly urban -- inner city home, office and most socializing. I can walk home in pumps without too much pain. For a suburban commuter I'd put footwear and blister prevention and care high up on the USK list.

My tiniest USK is my neck lanyard that I don't even walk down the block without, on it is: Doug's new flashlight, Fox-40 whistle, house key. Several years ago while walking home from work, much of my zip code lost power. Thank goodness I was already in the post-9/11 habit of having a Petzl Zipka headlamp in my purse. Couldn't see my hand in front of my face before I turned that headlamp on.

Purse: cash, headlamp, Doug's e-PICO flashlight, small cheap pocketknife (in case it's confiscated at a security checkpoint), pepper spray.

Car: my Honda Element is itself a tent on wheels and well stocked at all times with bottled water, Luna Bars, camping gear (including Coleman Dual-Fuel one-burner), backpack, hiking boots/socks, rain parka, Marmot Dri-Clime, hats, gloves, First Aid and road safety gear. Whenever I'm driving around the metro area or further I grab a shoulder bag that includes cash, Doug's MK3 knife, CRKT MAK-1 and CRKT Extrik-8-7 (emergency tool and seatbelt cutter), Gransfors Bruks mini-belt hatchet and an extra pair of eyeglasses (my contacts are disposables).

Home: Now that I've got 7 seven-gallon Aquatiners for storing water, I have enough food, water and camping gear at the ready at home to be comfortable far longer than I'd want to be in this city in a severe emergency. Oh, and the preparations include dog food and dog meds. My dog is on a high-end food that the chains don't carry so I'm in the habit of keeping at least a month's supply on hand for her.

Edited by Dagny (10/22/09 09:15 PM)