Originally Posted By: MDinana
Jeanette, you're overthinking this. wink

Anxiety attacks are quite easy to diagnose, as a rule. Even more so if you tell the provider "Hey, I have anxiety!" or "I take Ativan!" As far as I know, no EMS agency allows their medics to give Ativan for anxiety only, so being in an acute attack wouldn't change most treatment options.

If your attack does get to the point you pass out, well, you'll have stopped hyperventilating, and likely awoken, by the time EMS arrives.

Keep in mind this was before I was diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder and the first time this has happened. I was at a stoplight, conveniently beside a gas station, waiting for the light to turn. My heart started beating fast followed by shallow, rapid breathing. I pulled into the station, turned off the engine and opened the door thinking whatever it was would go away on its own. It got worse. I went inside and collapsed on the floor but remained conscious. Through the shallow, heavy breathing, I did manage to indicate to the attendant that I needed an ambulance.

The ambulance arrives. I'm at least somewhat conscious with some difficulty to adequately respond. The medic checks my oxygen saturation. It was at 88%. He tells me he will put an oxygen mask on me and I nod, acknowledging I understand.

By the time I get to the emergency room, I'm fine. My oxygen saturation is back to normal. However neither the ambulance crew nor the E.R. staff figured that what I had experienced may have been an anxiety attack. I can now say, with a hindsight perspective, that it was most likely an anxiety attack.

Now if I experience those symptoms again, I know what to do. Nevertheless, would there have been a difference if the medics had a reason to believe I was experiencing an anxiety attack?

Jeanette Isabelle