Originally Posted By: jay2
For sweaty activities, Gor-Tex can't be beat. Snowmobiling is definatly a sweaty activity, and the premium snowmobile clothing is almost always Gore tex. It vents off the sweat vapor while remaining water proof.

Hey, hold your horses!

Gore-tex is good stuff, but it does not possess magical qualities. It is waterproof, but it is by no means breathable enough to keep you dry in sweaty activities. I think a realistic assessment is that you will be 20% drier in Gore-tex than in a total "vapour barrier" garment (such as heavy-duty raingear). That 20% is a huge improvement from 0, but is a far shot away from being perfect. Those 20% is good enough to keep you fairly dry as long as you have a moderate level of activity and the totality of clothing is appropriate and functions well together.

For dry, cold conditions there are tons of materials better than gore-tex, including some natural fibers. The true benefit of gore-tex is that it is waterproof and allows SOME moisture to get through. Used correctly, it works great. Use it wrong and condensed vapor from your sweat will soak your middle layers and undergarments. Don't let the commercials fool you into believing otherwise!

The key is: DON'T SWEAT IT! Dress so you don't sweat excessively in the cold. Snowmobiling clothes are great for snowmobiling or standing still, but too warm for anything else. Layering principle (many thin layers, not one thick) is the best, but this may be problematic with a thick snowmobile suit. Use zippers to ventilate or remove clothing whenever you increase activity (such as freeing your stuck snowmobile). DON'T STRESS - DON'T SWEAT IT! Keep cool, take your time, do things properly, enjoy yourself - party on!

Originally Posted By: jay2
In my shell, I can lay on the snow and remain dry. Now cold is another matter, you definately want some insulation to keep you out of the cold and water your body heat and weight will probably create.

+1 - couldn't agree more! Having something underneath you is crucial if you want to sleep.