You have chosen wisely. The CS shovel is an excellent, durable, non-weapon-like, hardcore tool.

Actually, there have been at least a couple of reviews of the CS shovel on this site. I can't find them using Search, but they're in there somewhere. I know; one of them is mine.

I own three of these tough little shovels. One in each car, and one alternating between woodlot and garden. If I could snag a dozen more at U.S. discount prices (like $15), I'd hand them out for Christmas.

Granted, they're not a finesse tool. Not an ideal knife, not an ideal prybar, not an ideal hatchet, not an ideal shovel. But like a Leatherman multitool, they do a whole lot of things passably well. And it's the versatile tool at hand that gets you through the tough spots.

I'm told (by somebody at zombieforum?) that the official, branded Boy Scouts of America shovel is a CS shovel with a badge attached. Outstanding. Real tools for real jobs, with none of the hoo-hah surrounding cutting tools.

I include a small file, or carbide EasySharp, with each of my CSS's. That way, it goes from shovel to machete to onion-slicer to zombie-whomper with a few well-placed strokes. I also wrap the handle in hockey tape (cloth tape that gives a slightly sticky, secure grip).

P.S., I think if C.S. came up with a slightly slimmed-down, 16 ounce, "Backpacker" version, they would sell a million billion zillion of them. They're just a bit heavy to hump around in a daypack without a specific need.

(Standard Disclaimer: no affiliation with CS. Me no shill, just happy customer re this tool.)

Edited by dougwalkabout (10/20/09 04:58 AM)