Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am sure that the fact that we maintain an interest in this forum indicates that we are indeed planning for potential problems and taking reasonable efforts to enable as many options as possible. [Such as?]

In the event, however, we often (usually?) must make decisions with far less than full, or. indeed, adequate information. [Almost always.]

Planning is good, but it can reach a point of diminishing returns. [Of course.]

If I do decide to exit from an impending situation, I would incline to do so early rather than later - avoidance of crowds and gridlock is a real concern here. We always hear sad stories about folks who temporized and tried to leave too late. I can't recall nearly so many tales about those who fled too early. There are consequences for leaving too early - typically disruption of one's affairs and various inconveniences, but those are preferable to injury or loss of life, the real possibilities of exiting too late from a significant disaster. [So how do you decide when it is early enough?]

I would like to raise another issue. With respect to tsunamis, the procedure here (Ventura, CA,with a more open coast) is to put to sea with all due haste and seek open water. Safe waters are reachable in about two hours. In fact,our vessels have done so in the past when tsunami alerts have been issued for our area. Your situation in the Bay area is radically different. What kind of advance warning do you need to reach open water from your dock?

As posted, some 12 - 24 hours depending on tides, winds, etcetera to get to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Edited by dweste (10/19/09 03:40 AM)