I put my together my first kit that wasn't entirely camping inspired based on info from Doug's reviews, and before he had his kit on the market. It was tough, because back then the individual items were difficult to find.

Since then there have been a lot more kits come out, and better kits than existed before. I think the RSK and this site had a lot to do with that, and that's pretty cool.

Each location is different, as our UK friends point out. We have dry and cold here in NY as well as wet and just above freezing cold, and the latter is much less fun. Here, though, a compass and fire starter rank right up there with shelter, and those are the three big things. (If I had to pick two of the three, it would be compass and fire starter. To move I need the compass. To stay I want a fire.)

It's tough to design a kit that will be pretty good everywhere, and be affordable. The RSK does that, and the things that are left out are common items - shelter, water storage, and a decent sized knife. Anyone in the US can by a space blanket, water bottle, and purification tablets at Walmart. The same thing can't be said for some of the items included in the kit.

My concern with the Chinese kit is that someone would take it as their only kit when going out hiking/hunting/fishing, and then find themselves stuck with a dud compass and no ability to keep a fire going with just matches. That's more of an issue with the individual than the kit though.