Like others, for me driving is the preferred option, walking is the last resort.

Among other things, I keep sneakers, a pair of socks and a wheely cart in my car in the event that I need to walk home. My GHB/car kit is in progress, but is mostly set up for a grab-and-go on foot scenario since that's my worst-case plan. Right now I'm lacking a good local map (it's gone missing) and a compass to allow me to navigate by foot, which I've learned is much harder than you'd think when you're used to other transportation. Though fortunately you can usually tell direction here if you can get a glimpse of the mountains.

Fortunately my bf currently works not far from home and works with 2 friends who also happen to live within walking distance. That makes the home-from-work situation much easier for him. Not only is the distance short enough to reasonably walk in a few hours, but he'd likely have well-known company. And if for some reason the car isn't an option he has 2 other people to potentially ride with.

There is some public transport here (buses), but I've never used it. Fortunately one of the stops is very close to my home so I should consider that as an option. I do need to get a schedule, get some details, and keep some bus fare as part of the emergency kit should busing it be a better option (or necessity) to walking.