First stop around here is a big spruce tree. Underneath you'll find the best tinder around -- fine, dead branches. The only exception is if there has been a (rare) penetrating fog, which saturates the best tinder with amazing effectiveness.

A dead pine tree is another good source. They turn bright red; not hard to spot. In very wet weather, you need at least the sustained heat from a Bic to get them going.

I've heard congealed evergreen sap from a wound is quite effective. I haven't tried it on its own, but worked into a bit of cotton cloth (jeans pocket) or a paper napkin as a wick, it takes a flame readily.

Snow in this part of the world doesn't have much effect. Unlike coastal or Great Lakes snow (mashed potato snow I call it), it's very dry, matching the low humidity. So unless there's been a freeze/thaw it's like blotting paper. With the heat from a Bic, even dry grass buried in dry, powdery snow will usually go.

None of the above is quite fine enough to ignite with a simple spark. Unless it's a modern ferro-whatsit-firesteel, which is plenty hot enough.

Edited by dougwalkabout (10/16/09 03:20 AM)