I've been looking at the Fit-PC2 computer as a solution for a general purpose solar computer with perhaps with a 128GB SSD. It has a claimed maximum power of around 8W but is still powerful enough to run WinXP and full 1080i video. If a new monitor is required then I would look into the latest LED backed LCD monitors such as the LG W2486L with a claimed Power requirement of 28W (I am currently using an LG M227WD, which has an inbuilt Digital TV/Radio decoder running at around 33W). Total computer power would be less than 38W, which could easily be run from a 60W Solar Panel, Charge Controller and Powerpack such as the Duracell DPP-600HD (I use a slighly larger Powering Professional Powerpack RPP210, to currently power my Solar Powered Hi-Fi setup).

Off Grid Internet Broadband would just be a matter of having a 3G USB dongle/Air card capable Router or plugging the 3G USB card into the Fit-PC2. Other USB devices such as ATSC Digital TV tuners or even satellite based Digital USB devices and USB based storage such as the WD passport hard drives can also be added. Even USB compatible SW radios can be added for worldwide SW coverage.

A capable high performance entertainment/Digital TV/Digial Radio/communications system can all be powered from a single 60W Solar PV panel etc.

For emergency lighting I have a number of free standing uplighting floor lamps using high performance LED based E27 bulbs which can easily light a medium sized room. More powerful versions are also available. Again these lights can be moved anywhere in the house and powered using the auto car Powerpacks. The advantage of these LED based bulbs over the cheaper low energy fluorescent bulbs is that they accept a much wider range of input power voltages and frequencies and they provide full illumination from the instant they are turned on.

Reducing the power requirement and increasing efficiency of the load also reduces the cost of providing electrical power generation i.e. more cost effective smaller and more fuel efficient electrical power generators.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/15/09 06:55 PM)