Yes to that NobodySpecial. I think part of the reason is cost and I think that cost is easier to justify in buildings serving a lot of people.
Part of the reason might be how hard it is to set up a location for them on a job site too, but your point about expected levels of fitness makes sense.
On the construction site you might see an AED unit where they are more concerned about electrical shock injuries, but they are not very common.
They do work though and I would like to see more of them and more people trained on them.
Well, as they say, if wishes were horses then beggars would ride.

About the batteries.
The lithium batteries can not be recharged.
Lithium batteries still self discharge over time, so lithium batteries have a claimed shelf life of 5 years but usually the recommended replacement is 3 years.
Reasoning is that they likely sat on a shelf for a year and that they have not been stored in ideal conditions once they are in the machine.

Even though the batteries are tested by the machine automatically every day a lot of people get the rechargeable batteries instead of lithium and just add recharging them to the list of things for maintenance.

The charging station is not usually part of the wall box. It is usually separate. (often on a dusty shelf in the mechanical room or the janitors closet frown )
The AED is normally kept in grab and go condition, which it would not be if you had to put the charged battery into it each time you needed it.

I am not really sure if the lithium works out to be cheaper than recharger or more expensive or if it is cost neutral.
I am not even sure what the life of the rechargeable batteries is and when they need to be replaced.

Edited by scafool (10/15/09 03:10 PM)