Originally Posted By: scafool

I also have mixed feelings about goretex. It either makes me sweat or it leaks. I found that any type of waterproof layer on the outside when it was cold trapped moisture in my clothes. Cold weather gear has to breath so that the moisture goes away. This includes boots and gloves.

I've read and heard the same thing about goretex from other who live where it's really cold. I like it a lot, though, because I don't have to worry about the rain changing to snow type of thing, which is miserable; and I like it because it blocks the wind really well. For me, when I walk around and don't burn too much energy, I don't have any trouble with moisture build up. If I'm active, I start unzipping layers to keep cool. That's one reason why I like a zip up vest and button up shirt for layers, as compared to pull-overs. It's easier to regulate the insulation. But here, it's not as cold as the great white north, so I have an easier time of it I'm sure.

For boots, a leather/goretex combination doesn't breath well enough for me, but I have a pair of Browning hunting boots that are goretex/thinsulate with a combination of leather and cordura nylon for the outer layer. The course nylon seems to make it more breathable, but it might be in my head.

For gloves, well, they usually make my hands cold. I don't know if you can ride a snomobile with mittens, but a big pair of leather/goretex/thinsulate mittens is great for walking around. I buy about a size big, because anything constricting makes my hands cold. As far as gloves goes, somewhere I found a pair of theoretically army issue ones, with yet again goretex/thinsulate/leather - but they also had gussets (or however it's spelled), like on a space suit so you're fingers can bend easily, and really big boxy fingers. They're pretty warm, but not as good as mittens.