Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
<< "How long should the avg fridge / freezer (top and bottom) last before needing to get cooled again?" >>

In my experience, 6 hours is the best you can get. After that, you should view highly perishable items with a skeptical eye.

When you get power again, fill every nook and cranny with water jugs. Cover the exterior with a blanket when the power is off

I don't let mine go more than 4-5 hours. At 4 hours, I'm rigging then generator, then go 4 on 4 off if I can't keep it on the generator continually. I keep the freezer spare space filled with those packs of waterless ice, and swap them in and out as space is needed on a day to day basis. That way, when the power goes out, we have some extra time.

Don't know about the blanket trick; never tried it, but even more important is keeping the door CLOSED. When you open the door (freezer or fridge), all the cold air drops out: it is heavier then the warm air in the room, which rushes in to replace the cold air. The new warm air now warms everything as it cools down.

Also we have a 2nd generator for back up. They tend to fail when you need them.

A local supermarket now carries dry ice on a continuing basis, so this is another option.

Did I mention we frequently lose power?