Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Snowmobile suits:
Originally Posted By: scafool

Could you just lay down in a snowbank and go to sleep in one?
Yes.

I disagree - you need something to insulate from the ground. The material in the suit gets compressed under you, so you need a little extra between yourself and the ground. (Which is why sleeping on the snowmobile is such a good idea).

You can disagree, it is a free world that way.

Actually my experience sleeping out was a bit different.
I found the biggest thing was it had to be cold enough that the snow didn't melt under me.
I also have mixed feelings about goretex. It either makes me sweat or it leaks. I found that any type of waterproof layer on the outside when it was cold trapped moisture in my clothes. Cold weather gear has to breath so that the moisture goes away. This includes boots and gloves.

My biggest problem sleeping in my skidoo suit was keeping my nose warm.

I will say that any extra insulation under you will help especially if it keeps the snow cold enough to stay dry.
The worst conditions are when the snow is close to melting already because then your weight will cause it to melt and then you end up cold and wet instead of dry and warm.

But if you have a decent suit you can sleep out in it quite well, and yes you can just lay down in the snow. Snow itself is a pretty good insulator when it is dry and fluffy. It is such a good insulator that the ground is often thawed underneath it if you dig down through it.
Water which is melted snow is just the opposite.

If you are really stuck then making a quinze might be appropriate too. If you dig them down a bit you get out of the wind and start picking up some of the warmth from the ground. Lets face it, being sheltered in a space that is just a bit below freezing sure beats being outside at 40 below losing heat to the winds and to the stars.
Usually snow shelters are not as warm as a lean-to and a big fire though.

THERE IS A BIG WARNING HERE.
If you are cold do not go to sleep.
Hypothermia makes you feel sleepy and if you go to sleep from the cold you might never wake up!

Hypothermia also gives the illusion of warmth as it shuts your body down.
Kind of like how your skin quits feeling cold or pain as frostbite sets in.
So warm up for real before you doze off. If it takes a fire to warm you then light a decent fire.
Then if you get cold you will wake up and can do a little warm up dance before going to sleep again.

Edited by scafool (10/14/09 02:26 PM)