I shouldn't say this, but I will. Most public schools, especially the public schools of Troy, have a lousy reputation locally, and probably don't attract the best and brightest among administrators. School districts aren't even close to equal in this area, and my personal opinion is that this is caused by petty local politics, and each district wanting to be different than the ones next to it. Many people, perhaps most families, make their decisions on where to live largely based on school district. None of them would pick Troy based on the schools. They move there based on the cost, the otherwise nice areas outside Troy, and those that stay do so because of the investment they have in the area. I say these things based on living in the area for about 20 years, about half of those in Troy.

I'm sure this kid will be fine. He'll grow up to be someone that these folks will never have the courage to become, or perhaps even imagine. My question is, who'll be the next kid that the administrator picks on?

Cooperated with the authorities? My view of a typical vice-principle is of someone that lacks the intelligence to be a teacher, the courage to be a policeman, and the talent to operate the slurpy machine at the Dairy Queen.

Be polite and lawyer up needs to be basic survival training for kids these days.

Sorry for the rant. I have a low tolerance for small minded people and bullies, and this seems to fit both criteria...and it's in my back yard.

Edit - I'll buy the local political angle that ironraven brought up as being very possible. Local politics are nothing if not petty, and school boards are both small and political.