Hi Craig,

Hey, no problem with the questions, I ask a bunch myself.

Lanyard has a snap hook that is attached to a 1" split ring.

The Fox 40 came with a 3/8" snap ring that is now also attached to the 1" ring on the snap hook.

A larger 1 1/8" snap ring is also attached to the 1" ring on the snap hook. That ring has both the Brunton watchband compass and the ARC AAA attached to it.

The AAA is attached to the larger ring via the small 3/8" snap ring that it came with. The Brunton has a half inch wide, flat rubber loop that the watch band slides into. The large ring also fits quite nicely.

All this was not really planned out as a method of keeping things quiet, it was more a matter of genuine dumb luck as I had the rings sitting around and figured that having them with me for possible other uses made more sense than leaving them in a drawer.

What other uses?
Possible slide ring with cordage?
Might need to have a ring to hang something else on?
Makes it easier to hang onto the compass when it is off of the lanyard (it does). Who knows where it will get used.

As far as the rattle issue, it really is not noticable. In a very quiet hallway, I can detect it, however in a crowd it is not a problem.

Another possible reason for it not standing out is that I typically wear a tee shirt under the dress shirt. This tends to muffle it a bit I suppose.

Although I've looked at the Jetscream whistles, I've not had a chance to hold one alongside a Fox 40. From the various photos I've looked at, there is a much different form factor, the flatter shape of the Jetscream may provide more of a sounding board effect than the Fox 40.

Sorry, no digicam.

Perhaps some rubber bands around them both might help.

Comanche7