Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
I've used it at 12,000 feet at 35 degrees and breezy, with good results. It takes about twice as long as my Whisperlight to boil a pot of water, but is much quicker and easier to get going or put away.

That sounds impressive but the boiling points of water drops to around 89C @ 12,000 ft. It is much more difficult to raise the temperature of water at lower altitudes.

It's not "much more difficult." It just takes slightly more patience.

... The Primus will also bring to boil a litre of water in less than 3 minutes. The Trangia will take at least 3-4 times longer.

Not in my real world but anecdotal experience, typically boiling 2-3 cups of water. More like 2 times longer.

The limitations and the greater weight for a alcohol stove become even more apparent when even more boiling capacity is required.

These stoves won't be running in a steady state, Frequent stopping, starting, priming and warm-ups alter fuel efficiency numbers.

My only point originally was that alcohol is safe and convenient for me as a BOB stove, since I DON'T need "even more boiling capacity," will be storing it in my car long-term, and live in FL. But I have to wonder what would I do in a survival or disaster situation when the gas cartridge runs out. Also note that I carry a second, 1/2 oz, alcohol burner,just in case.

The alcohol stove would end even heavier than a multifuel high performance expedition stove such as the Primus Omnifuel.

Clearly, gas is a better choice, and my choice, for winter, group, or longer distance backpacking trips. Multi-fuels also work well for long term survival scenarios.

Edited by Jeff_M (10/12/09 11:50 AM)