Not in my experience.

Once the fish starts flopping, the worst thing to do is touch the brakes. The trailer will pick one side or the other of the tow vehicle and try to pass it.

If the flopping is not too bad and you don't have trailer tongue actuated hydraulic brakes, letting off the accelerator and allowing the vehicle to slow will usually cure the problem. If you do have tongue actuated brakes, then very carefully measured deceleration is called for. Slow too quickly, and the tongue hits the tow vehicle and applies the trailer brakes. This pulls the trailer back from the tow vehicle and releases the brakes. It stats a "recoil effect" in the braking and reduces driver control.

If the situation is about to become untenable and one has electronically controlled trailer brakes, it is possible to SLOWLY apply trailer braking with the manual override on the brake controller. This is more on the lines of "we are going to crash if I don't do something now" versus "boy this is tough to drive". One must feather the controller kind of like petting a stray pit bull that just walked up. Looks friendly, but be real gentle and ease into it. Even then, you might get bitten.

All of the above is situational, and only experience (and almost soiled pants) can provide true knowledge on this one.

The one theme to all of the above is smooth and gentle.

I will say this....

Once you realize the trailer is going to push you beyond where you want/need to stop, you will rethink your following distances and speed accordingly. That and packing extra skivvies in the GHB.....

Edited by Desperado (10/05/09 03:21 AM)

RIP OBG