I would certainly help others in any localised or short term disaster, but in the event of TEOTWAWKI I would think twice about expending supplies that I might need in the long term for myself.

Many on this and similar forums, equip themsevelves with very expensive gear. This has a lot to commend it if your life may depend on a good knife, ot tent, or sleeping bag, or flashlight etc.
Remember though that very cheap gear is better than nothing,and is much less of a concern than good stuff, especialy if lost or given away.

As an example, I purchased a good sleeping bag for any emergency, and a number of expensive, large all wool blankets, in case heating fuel is unavailable.
Except to close family I would be most reluctant to part with these.
But I also purchased 2 dozen very cheap recycled blankets, only about £50 for the lot. These I would consider giving away to those in need.

Likewise I have a number of good flashlights, but also a dozen cheap ones, which I dont mind giving away.
In the recent Great power cut in Dartford, England, I bartered numerous cheap flashlights, each for two pints of beer !

I also keep a dozen homemade disposable battery lights, they are cheaper than chemical light sticks, give more light, for longer, and can be turned off. Worth a pint of beer each.