Originally Posted By: Susan
How do you "recondition" someone like that? Jeffrey Dahmer? ...

If I recall correctly, Jeffrey Dahmer received rehabilitation appropriatte to his crimes while in prison.

The young fellow in this case, if found guilty, richly deserves a period of incarceration, but since he will be released to society within a short time, it is in our and his own interest that he receive intensive psychiatric care.

Unfortunately, this is unlikely to happen. Instead, he is likely to leave leave prison more traumatized, more anti-social, less able to function in civil society, less likely to be employed and enjoy academic or occupational success, and probably possessed with a brand new set of criminal skills, attitudes and connections.

I feel sorry for this kid and the problems he's had, but there are plenty of kids with similar problems who didn't take them out on helpless animals. As has been pointed out, this sort of behavior is an ominous warning sign. Nonetheless, we cannot let such crimes go without punishment. I'd like to see some reasonable amount of jail time, followed by a veeerrrry long probationary period with mandatory psychologicsal treatment and monitoring.

Edited by Jeff_M (10/02/09 02:04 PM)