For me, this is most difficult part of planning. A few years my answer would have been different. I've spent several years trying to convince my neighbors, friends, relatives (and anyone else who will listen) to even think about this stuff. Those that have, have started preparing; if only modestly.

I have several close neighbors who are taking preparedness very seriously. Together, we've started making plans for different scenarios. In the event of on emergency, I'm counting on them. We've talked about making sure none of the neighborhood kids go hungry, but as for the adults... I still don't know.

I don't think I'll have a problem turning out some of those people who have said "I know where I'm going when the SHTF, your house!" but haven't done anything for themselves. Then again if a neighbor showed up at my door hurt or starving, I don't think I could just let them die.

For me, it comes down to community. I believe in the event of a large scale, long term emergency, the people that come together will be better off.