I say yes, for several reasons.

An antisocial event is as likely to have a singficant impact in your life as a large scale disaster. Being ready for everything from a flat tire to a big rock falling means nothing if a 3rd grade dropout puts you in a wheelchair for the ten bucks in your wallet.

Most forms of hand to hand training, armed or unarmed, are good cardio, while improving speed, flexibility and balance. And it probably puts less wear and tear on the knees than jogging.

It reaches responsability, particularly when combined with basic medical traning. I started learning first aid when I was able to see over the top of the table, and before I started learning to shoot, fight and fence. Throwing a kick, swinging a staff, or pulling a trigger, whatever happens with that tool is on my head and on my honor, so you use those tools as best you can.

It builds confidence. Not false confidence, just like having basic wilderness survival skills and a psk shouldn't make you think you have everything you'll ever need at all times. But if you can defend yourself and those around you, you are in greater control of your own fate than if your only other option is curl up in a ball and hope the cops get there before your head gets stomped in.

As for what to learn, always unarmed. Which one is up to you, there are good and bad schools for all hundred or so different formal styles. I suggest something eventually adds stick/sword, staff and knife techniques, because those are always going to around. Fireams as well.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.