Scout Neckerchiefs<br>Interesting observation on neckerchiefs vs. bandanas. I always keep a couple of bandanas in my fanny pack and my backpack. But they are much smaller than your 36"x36" neckerchiefs. The Boy Scout dress uniform, or "Class A" uniform as we tend to call it, includes a neckerchief. But it is much smaller and triangular in cut. It can be used for a number of purposes, such as an emergency compress to stem bleeding or to help tie off splints for a broken bone.<br><br>But it's not as versatile as a larger neckerchief. You would be hard press to make a sling, for example, even though the Boy Scout manual describes using slings for first aid. Also, the current neckerchief is mainly dress item with fancy embroidery or silk screening and most folks would shun using it for any other purpose unless it's an emergency. I don't think any scout would hesitate to use it in a first aid situation, where they would avoid using it for more practical uses, such as a head wrap or water filter.<br><br>Compounding the situation even more is the fact that no one wears their neckerchiefs except to troop meetings and when we travel. (Boy Scouts travel in full "Class A" uniform). Around camp or on the trail, the uniform stays in the tent or pack while more comfortable clothing is worn, usually jeans/shorts and cotton T-shirt with the troop logo silk-screened on it. We refer to this as our "Class B" uniform. It would seem that a larger neckerchief, such as you described, would be most useful if worn as part of our "Class B" dress. I think I will try testing this idea this spring and seeing if I can introduce it to the troop.<br><br>The Scout Neckerchief wasn't always so impractical. I remember the neckerchiefs I wore as a youth were slightly larger, even if they were still triangular in shape. I remember that you could tie one off as a slink for a fellow scout, although I doubt they were large enough for an adult. The original Scout neckerchief started out as a square cloth folded in half into a triangle.<br><br>There's an interesting article written in 1927 by Commodore W. E. Longfellow that illustrates the origins for neckerchiefs, describes how to properly were one and lists dozens of potential uses. A reprint of the article (with a few typos) can be found at this link. Scouting With a Neckerchief It also has directions for a Turk’s Head knot/woggle that can be used as a neckerchief slide. I wonder if one can be made out of para cord? :-)