Quote:
Hoover sustained broken ribs, broken vertebrate and a punctured lung in the crash.

Five days later:

Quote:
He said she was in bad shape when he saw her, purple eyes and her mouth filled with dirt from crawling with her head on the ground.

She didn't just crawl down the mountain: she was seriously injured to the point that she not able to even to get her head off the ground.

I don't like to use the word "luck" for this sort of thing. It implies that only pure chance is at work. She may not have done herself any favors in terms of preparations, but I bet she doesn't use the word "Quit" very often.

I drive a Honda minivan with two large driver's door pockets. I keep 8 4oz bags of water and 9 400cal lifeboat rations there, as well as my PLB (won't do any good at home - keep it in the car!), a handheld CB radio, and a very bright "signaling" flashlight w/ spare batteries. Ending up off a rural road because of a deer or cow is a real concern of mine so I pack the door's storage in case I *can't* get to the goody box in back or even reach to the passenger's side of the car.

PS. I realize the CB radio probably isn't real important and it may be bumped to the passenger side once I think of better things to have within reach.