Originally Posted By: dweste

To get a bit philosophical, Edmund Burke said something like, all it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.

It is my belief that courage is a learned behavior at least in part and, as such, can and should be be expressly taught, learned, and practiced.

Courage is best learned by example. Whatever courage I have has come from the example my 'greatest generation' parents set for me. Courage for me is honesty, loyalty, personal responsibility, compassion, service, tolerance and belief in the collective good. It is making the "hard" choices a matter of instinct not analysis.

One of the many stories my dad told us around the dinner table was that when he was "volunteered" onto the Manhattan Project by Gen. Groves he was offered an Army commission. He turned it down because he did not think it honorable to wear the uniform and not take the responsibility and risk of a soldier*. I'm sure that led many to question his sense of duty since he remained a civilian during the war. Especially since he couldn't talk about his work.

But that example of values and, in my mind, courage, has influenced my life just as the many other examples my parents put before my siblings and I.

So while I heartily applaud Blast (and others) for his explicit lessons of courage for his kids, I would suggest the inferred lessons his kids get from the examples he and his wife set everyday are even more effective in building their courage potential. From what we all know about Blast I'm sure his kids will be courageous as all heck. I mean just living in Blast's neighborhood takes courage....

*It must also be said, so as to maintain full disclosure, that the fact that DuPont paid better than the Army was an important factor for a young father of two. But if you knew my Dad you knew that was only a benefit, not a reason.