Originally Posted By: Desperado
If you end up storing Diesel Pri-G also makes a great diesel storage additive, that also has a ctane (sp?) booster in it. Just don't over do it on storage times. Diesel is a whole different ball game than gasoline. Diesel grows critters....

Diesel tends to store so much better than gasoline, even without special additives. Especially fuel oil, which is formulated right from the beginning to store well. We buy at least 1,000 gallons of fuel oil at a time and never once had problems with storage, even without us doing anything to it. One piece of equipment had half a tanks worth of fuel sitting for at least three years and started right up no problem.

Plus diesel/fuel oil is a lot safer to store. When we had both gas and diesel tanks our insurance was ridicules. Now that we've removed the gas tanks and gone to basically all diesel it has dropped significantly.

I might only have 10 gallons of gasoline on hand at any one time, but I still keep at least 500 gallons of fuel oil on hand. With that, in an emergency, I can run my truck, I can run a generator, I can run a welder, I can run heavy equipment, I can heat my office....I can basically do everything I need. grin